- January 8, 2021
- Posted by: kerea
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Organisation: Kenya Renewable Energy Association (KEREA)
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Chairman, Executive Committee (KEREA)
- About KEREA:
KEREA was formed in 2002 by members of the Renewable Energy Resources Technical Committee of the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS). Over the years KEREA has evolved to be an independent business member organisation registered under the Society’s Act. While the original founding members were predominantly solar practitioners, whose primary concern was to advocate for better solar regulations to ease private sector business, today KEREA is an umbrella body of a wide range of RE practitioners including Biogas, wind, clean cooking, blue economy and small hydros.
KEREA’s vision is to see a vibrant and conducive business environment for renewable energy products and services with a mission to facilitate the growth and development of renewable energy business in Kenya.
The expanded mandate of KEREA to represent all RE sub-sectors in Kenya and the rapid growth and uptake of renewable energy resources bolstered by the new Energy Act, now demands for a competent CEO who will ensure that KEREA fulfils members’ vision of a highly competitive industry not only in Kenya but in the region.
- Background and The New Strategic Plan 2020-2025:
BfZ is currently supporting KEREA to develop a new strategic plan to help KEREA leapfrog into the next frontier of growth. The support offered to KEREA will go towards reviewing and reforming its governance and management structures, and building the capacity of the KEREA Executive Committee and Secretariat to provide members with value-added services such as market intelligence, customer research, and business development training and mentorship for members and other industry stakeholders.
KEREA is also aware of the future strength of the regional East African Renewable Energy Federation (EAREF), of which KEREA is founder member, which will require strong partnerships in a growing network of RE practitioners across the region. It is against this background, added to a fast growing RE industry in Kenya, that KEREA seeks a highly qualified and widely experienced person to take up the role of CEO.
III. Job Summary:
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for planning and execution of the associations’ strategic objectives as envisioned in the new Strategic Plan in order to achieve its strategic goals and mission. The CEO will be contracted by KEREA.
- Key Duties and Responsibilities:
(i) Ensures proper corporate governance and leads the implementation of KEREA’s strategic plan and activities:
- Manages effectively all aspects of KEREA according to the strategic plan and annual work plan, ensuring that the delivery of outputs and activities and resource management is of high-quality and in line with timeframes and budget;
- Operationalises proper governance structures and operational manuals;
- Ensures compliance and provides guidance to Members on the Constitution and Code of
Business Practice, including spot checks, consumer hotline;
- Reports on a regular basis to the KEREA Executive Committee and Members about progress achieved with the implementation of activities; ensures proper monitoring and evaluation system is in place and operational in daily work;
- Organises Annual General Meetings, which includes advance preparation of AGM agenda and discussion materials such as progress reports, annual work plans;
- Facilitates timely procurement of goods and services for the implementation of activities working closely with the Procurement/Contracts Committee, and ensures approved procurement procedures are being followed;
- Ensures proper management and accountability of the financial resources within the budget allocations;
- Ensures corporate and regulatory compliance i.e. filling of returns, tax and social security payments.
(ii) Oversees and ensures a technically sound implementation of KEREA
activities that are member-driven:
- Keeps up-to-date with each Member, including conducting member perception surveys to inform member service offerings;
- Ensures member services such as sales data collection, research, business development services/training, knowledge sharing workshops/working groups, market awareness campaigns are delivered with high technical standards;
- Facilitates the coordination of different working groups, which focus on different segments of RE spectrum.
- Tasks include participation in meetings, following up with Committee/Group leads, providing technical advice, producing outcome materials, and facilitating linkages/introductions to other stakeholders that can level up the discussion beyond the immediate group;
- Drafts or provides inputs to publications, briefs, and other documents related to the development of the RE market in Kenya and East Africa
- Facilitates access to useful information for Members such as funding opportunities, market research, trainings/events, etc.
- Offers updated and accurate market intelligence to those who want to support the development of the RE sector in East Africa
(iii) Represents the RE industry on behalf of Members in a way that enhances the credibility of the Association and the industry at large among consumers, public and private stakeholders
local and regional (EAREF)
- Articulates industry position on pertinent issues and writes up industry position documents and key messages to push advocacy effort forward;
- Builds strategic working relationships with relevant government ministries, development partners and other entities to raise the influence/positioning of the Association in advocacy efforts;
- Participates and presents in relevant steering committees, such as KEPSA, Bionergy Task
Force, National Biogas Steering Committee, EPRA etc.
- Raises the visibility of KEREA, its Members, through social media, mass communication, conferences and other promotional opportunities/materials
- Raises awareness of public/private stakeholders and general public about the benefits and practicalities of using RE technology
- Keeps abreast with key changes in policy environment, regulations, strategic focus of development partners and market developments
(iv) Ensures sustainability of KEREA activities in the mid to long term through member mobilisation, strategic partnerships and fundraising Local and regional (EAREF)
- Develops and operationalises multi-year financial sustainability plan including membership mobilisation, membership packages and pricing, and other revenue sources;
- Leads fundraising, proposal development, and contracting to deliver on KEREA’s strategic and financial sustainability plan;
- Leads member mobilisation;
- Develops close rapport and strategic partnerships with other industry associations, development partners, investors/funders, and others with a view to link Members with various business development opportunities;
(v) Creates and maintains an organisational culture that attracts and builds highly motivated, collaborative and professional staff
- Leads recruitment and orientation of Secretariat staff
- Provides overall vision to and supervises the Secretariat team to provide high-quality and timely programme implementation of activities!
- Oversees work distribution among staff;
- Guides staff towards relevant professional development and training opportunities.
(vi) Pro-actively develop innovative portfolio of services and activities with the vision to promote the overall RE sector
- Develop “business”/ services/ activities, on basis of expressed and assessed needs of the private sector in the RE sector and in consideration of the framework provided by the strategy plan.
- Through the daily management of KEREA, ensure that the association represents the interests of the ENTIRE sector (i.e. balancing interests of the different sub-sectors) and that a collective mindset is strengthened
- Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Chief Executive Officer must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in business administration or a related discipline, or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business administration, RE , Environment or a related discipline with an additional two years of relevant work experience.
- At least six (6) years (with Masters’ degree), or, minimum eight (8) years (with
Bachelors’ degree) of relevant experience at the national level; at least four (4) years of which should be in Kenya’s renewable energy & power sector in areas of project/programme management, coordination and operations, and the remaining years in senior & responsible managerial positions.
- Work experience in the RE industry is considered a distinct advantage.
- Work experience in business management and fundraising; multi-stakeholder coordination, networking, advocacy etc at industry, country levels.
- Work experience with an industry association an added advantage;
- Previous leadership experience will be an added advantage.
- Understands how associations function and their role in promoting market and business development
- Knowledgeable about the various types of RE technology and businesses in Kenya or
Region, and their operating environment,
- At least 3 years of project development (including proposal writing) and project management
- Experience with the cooperation with donors is paramount.
- Excellent communication skills in managing the internal communication with members and external communication with partners
- Proven Integrity
- Passionate and knowledgeable in practical terms about how RE can advance energy access in Kenya
- Demonstrates high business acumen, able to develop and implement strategies, and make things work
- Knowledgeable about and demonstrates positive relationships with relevant public and private stakeholders in the RE sector.
- Functional Competencies
(i) Management and Leadership
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
(ii) Operational Effectiveness
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting Strategic
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to KEREA
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and cover letters with three professional referees to secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com. The email subject should be: KEREA- CEO. Please note that while applications are appreciated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 31 January 2021
Proposed enumeration (Pm)
Basic salary – Attractive Package
Performance related Bonus – Upto 30% of annual Gross Salary plus significant further upside on overachievement of finance related KPIs
Other allowances – To be discussed
NSSF 10% of the total (basic salary + Medical insurance + House rent)