The Kenya Renewable Energy Association (KEREA) is an independent non-profit association dedicated to facilitating the growth and development of renewable energy business in Kenya.
KEREA was formed in August 2002 by members of the Renewable Energy Resources Technical Committee of the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) and is registered under section 10 of the societies act.
Amongst its key roles are promoting the interests of members of the renewable energy industry among government, public sector, the general public and any other organizations that may impact on the development of the industry; and the creation of a forum for the dissemination and exchange of information and ideas on matters relating to renewable energy development and utilization in Kenya.
KEREA’s Core Activities
- Promoting and creating awareness on renewable energy as well as providing information on renewable energy markets, market actors and technologies
- Supporting training, capacity building and certification activities in the renewable energy field and accreditation of renewable energy product and service providers
- Research for purposes of informing advocacy and lobbying activities and to collect information on renewable energy products and markets
- Pro-renewable energy lobbying and advocacy to improve the business environment and encourage adoption
- Networking, Business Linkages and Coordination, to facilitate and encourage synergies between various activities e.g. programs, projects and/or initiatives in the renewable energy field
- Increased awareness levels and adoption of renewable energy technologies
- Increase in the number of qualified renewable energy practitioners and increase in skill level and improvement in the quality of products and services provided
- Pro-renewable energy policies and regulations and improved business environment for renewable energy
- Increased coordination between actors and stakeholders when developing and implementing renewable energy initiatives
- Diverse KEREA membership and increased collaboration/cooperation between members and partners